View more in Budget
- December 15 2008The global economic recession will lead to a large decline in state tax revenues in fiscal 2009 and 2010, according to a forecast released today by the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation.
- October 20 2008
This report was prepared by: Global Insight, Inc.
Associated Industries of Massachusetts
Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce
Massachusetts Business Roundtable
Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation
- October 15 2008In order to try to minimize the enormous consequences of Question 1, the proponents argue incorrectly that total state spending is $47 billion when, as the Foundation has shown, the correct number is approximately $31.8 billion.
- September 21 2008An upcoming analysis by the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation shows that if one were to preserve the 2008 level of spending for Medicaid, health reform, state aid to municipalities, and debt service, then one would have to eliminate every other program of state government - from prisons, courts, and State Police to funding for higher education and the elaborate network of services for the elderly
- July 23 2008On behalf of a broad group of business organizations and health plans committed to ensuring access to quality and affordable health care in the Commonwealth, we are writing to express our strong opposition to the provisions imposing new assessments and taxes to fund the state's Health Care Reform Law.
- July 21 2008
MTF Letter to State Senate
The Commonwealth is going on this debt binge at the very moment that the floor may drop out of our finances. We are not risking a credit downgrade, we are virtually inviting it.
Bailing out the Turnpike with no accompanying reforms, no transparency, and no comprehensive plan to address its underlying problems will be remembered for years as the other bookend to the Big Dig fiasco.
- July 10 2008Warning of a fiscal meltdown, the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation called on Governor Patrick and legislative leaders to cut several hundred million dollars from the fiscal 2009 budget which the Legislature approved and sent to the Governor last week.
- June 18 2008The House-Senate conference committee deliberating the fiscal 2009 state budget is facing a potential billion-dollar shortfall which threatens to deplete almost half of the Commonwealth's reserves, leaving the state in a precarious position should an economic downturn hit.
- May 2008State Faces Large Deficits in Both Fiscal 2008 and 2009: Threatens Rapid Depletion of State’s ReservesThe state is facing a $500 million deficit in fiscal 2008 and the recently passed House budget for fiscal 2009 is at least $1 billion out of balance, creating a situation in which more than half of the state's reserves could be depleted in the next year without even accounting for a recession.