- July 21 2015Today marks an important new chapter for the MBTA and its riders. Today is the first meeting of the Fiscal Management Control Board. This board will bring much-needed focus, expertise, urgency, discipline and accountability to the MBTA over the next three years – powers that can be extended for another two years if deemed necessary. Today is the day that reform of the MBTA begins in earnest.
- July 17 2015The MTF is pleased to report that we were successful in preserving the FAS 109 tax deduction for over 120 companies based in Massachusetts while increasing the EITC to 23 percent thanks to the efforts of Governor Baker, Senate President Rosenberg and Speaker DeLeo.
- July 8 2015A letter from the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation, Associated Industries of Massachusetts, the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce and the Massachusetts Business Roundtable urging the Governor to veto the elimination of the FAS 109 Deduction.
- June 30 2015A college degree unequivocally increases earnings, and with income inequality at the forefront of state and national policy debates, it is important for the state to consider policies that encourage all Massachusetts residents to save for college. Recognizing the importance of saving for college, 33 of the 41 states with a personal income tax allow a deduction for contributions to 529 plans.
- June 29 2015Despite efforts over the past decades, previous reforms have failed and the T continues to deteriorate, threatening our vibrant economic recovery. Bold action is urgently needed. Five months after the T’s complete shutdown, we cannot lose the sense of urgency around fixing something that is severely broken. Our top priority must remain the interests of the working and commuting public.
- June 25 2015
Four months after the T’s collapse this past February, the state has reached a pivotal moment in which the Legislature must make crucial decisions on the future of the state’s key public transit system. If lawmakers adopt a bill with only incremental changes, rather than providing the Governor with the full complement of tools to fix the T, they will doom the MBTA’s future and undermine the state’s economy.
- June 23 2015MTF offers its support of Senate Bill 1002: An Act to Enhance Employment Opportunities filed by Senator Michael Rodrigues as a way to improve our economic climate without further exacerbating the budgetary challenges, such as removing Regulatory or statutory impediments to economic growth and job creation.
- June 9 2015Testimony of Eileen McAnneny Submitted to the Joint Committee on Revenue For the Hearing on Corporate Tax BillsThe Commonwealth of Massachusetts boasts a robust economy with a well-paid and highly educated workforce, and maintaining both is critical to the long-term health and stability of our state. To do this, Massachusetts must ensure not only that it fosters the creation of new businesses, but also that it is an attractive place to expand and maintain existing businesses.